Artsplosure is seeking a contract Art Market Coordinator to organize and coordinate its juried, competitive art and craft fairs, including those at its namesake spring festival the third weekend in May, Wide Open Bluegrass the last weekend in September, and Live & Local events on Hillsborough Street in April.
- Overseeing the application, selection, and footprint placement processes and the payment and production schedule in advance of each fair.
- Researching other regional juried art and craft fairs.
- Diversifying and expanding the applicant pool and publicizing the festival among potential participants.
- Identifying and recruiting jurors and judges and coordinating the jurying and judging process.
- Communicating in a timely manner with all stakeholders.
- Devising and managing on-site logistics from load-in to load-out.
- Assisting Marketing Director with building image bank and festival website, preparing and distributing the call to artists, and other art market-specific marketing functions.
Essential skills and attributes include:
- Being well organized, detail-oriented, and computer-literate.
- Having effective communication skills.
- Exhibiting diplomacy and patience.
The Art Market Coordinator serves as the principal liaison between the presenting organization and 500+ professional artists and fine crafters in multiple disciplines from near and far. He or she must be adept at positively interacting with creative individuals, many of whom have traveled far distances for the opportunity to show and sell their works.
Successful Artsplosure contractors and staff members are people who excel at “building” ephemeral artistic and enrichment experiences for diverse populations and are adept at problem-solving. Although they are appreciative and aware of the importance of process, they are more focused on successful outcomes. They can multi-task and maintain an upbeat demeanor.
Contract Compensation: $5,500
Direct inquiries to: Michael Lowder, Executive Director, 919-278-7997. Submit your resume via the contact form on our Careers page.
About the Artsplosure Art Market: The centerpiece of the Artsplosure spring festival, the Arts Market has, in recent years, received up to 400 applications. About 175 artists are accepted in 10 categories. In addition to a $21 to $32 application fee, participants pay a $330 fee that allows them to exhibit and sell their original works. Artsplosure does not receive any commission on these sales. There are six merit awards totaling $3,500. The call for artists goes out in mid-October, with a final application deadline in late January. A four-person selection jury reviews submissions in early February, and applicants are notified soon thereafter of their status (accepted, rejected, wait-listed).
About Artsplosure – The Raleigh Arts Festival, Inc.: Artsplosure is an independent nonprofit organization that presents arts festivals in Raleigh, including its namesake spring festival since 1980 and First Night Raleigh since 1991. Its mission is to produce quality events that make the works of the most imaginative and celebrated artists accessible to the public, all in an effort to enrich our community and inspire greater love for the visual and performing arts. In recognition of its groundbreaking role, Artsplosure was selected for the Raleigh Hall of Fame in 2015. For more information visit www.artsplosure.org.